Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Not-So-Much Plain Jane


Today was one of those pajama-wearing, bible-reading, and alone-time-spending kind of days. I love my alone time...I think every human being needs it now and again, that is, if we want to stay sane. Dead-set on spending time with my true love (God of course) I grabbed my sister's awesome tricked out teen girl's bible in hopes of discovering some inspirational women. I've really been thinking and reflecting on the kind of women I want to be known as. I mean, the day I get married I want to give the best of me but now and forever I want to give all I am to God. I've really been giving this a lot of thought. Deborah is known for her leadership and Hannah for her commitment and unfailing faith but, what am I known for. You see I don't just want to be a nobody...I want to touch God's heart and forever leave a legacy that will make Him proud. One woman who really inspired me was Jael. If you'd like to read the story you can find it in Judges 4.

Deborah, a prophetess and leader, told Barak that she had everything under control so that he could deal with Sisera because the Lord wanted to rescue the Israelites. Barak refused to go unless Deborah herself accompanied him and she answered:

“Certainly I will go with you,” said Deborah. “But because of the course you are taking, the honor will not be yours, for the LORD will deliver Sisera into the hands of a woman.”

There Deborah prophesied that a women would receive the credit for killing Sisera. War broke loose and the Lord caused Sisera to flee, and as Barak chased him, he ended up taking refuge in the tent of a woman named Jael. Because there was an alliance Sisera trusted her to hide him, but Jael was wiser and was able to to do what Barak himself did not. She killed him. The prophecy that God had given Deborah came to pass because God delivered Sisera into the hands of Jael.

*~*~*

Sometimes many of us girls might feel like Jael. We feel unnoticed or like plain Janes, but that's not what God sees. He uses the most unexpected people to fool the wise and receive glory. Wow! How amazing is that?! If you read along you'll also see that God gives a tribute to her through Deborah's song. Yes, Deborah ended the great victory with worship!

What I hope to get across by sharing this story is: don't feel like you're too simple or ordinary for God to use. If you do feel this way then you are exactly the kind of person that the Lord wants to use! How awesome is that? The girl that nobody noticed was the girl that God used to take out an oppressor. While everyone else fought with swords, she fought with her wit and the backing of the Lord. If you thought that you weren't anything special I hope you learned from Jael's story. I sure did. You see, God wants to use us...all of us. Whether we're a Deborah, a Hannah, or a Jael, God wants to use us and has a special purpose for each and every one of us. So like I stated before, I don't want to be interpreted as a plain Jane because according to God I'm so not and neither are you.

I want to be known for my love of God, passion for worshipping, artsy talents, funny sense of humor, maturity, sensibility, understanding, and heart.                                                              

I am who I amGod's daughter. And that is definitely enough...it's everything!

(Psalm 139: 13-14) For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say. Share your thoughts. You're so more than welcome to do so. God bless!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...