Tuesday, August 28, 2012

In The Stillness We Come To Know God



God does amazing things when we give Him the right of way. When we stop in the natural and our hearts slow, and our mind quiets down, God can speak and be heard. I've recently been reading the Book of Samuel and let me just say that it is definitely one of my favorites. These true events in particular I just had to share because I know that as worshipers there are times when quiet is not an option. I've already talked about resting in the Lord all the days of our lives, in every moment, but this post is more about responding to those moments of stillness that we do have in our lives. These moments are the times when God is really trying to communicate with us. Sometimes we might not even know that it's Him because we haven't gotten accustomed to perceiving His presence and discerning His heart's words. Painting the picture of the scene: Samuel, merely a young boy, has gotten used to His spiritual guide, Eli, teaching him how to minister before the Lord. At this point, Samuel had never really had a personal encounter with God even though He served the Lord; However, Samuel was in the right place at the right time. Meeting God isn't like a blind date because God takes His time, patiently loving on us until the day comes when we turn around and finally see Him...finally fall in love with Him who first loved us. This precious moment was just about to take place in Samuel's life because he was finally still and all was quiet. In the natural and in the spiritual...all was still.

*~*~*

(1 Samuel 3:2-11) One night Eli, whose eyes were becoming so weak that he could barely see, was lying down in his usual place. The lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was lying down in the house of the Lord, where the ark of God was. Then the Lord called Samuel. Samuel answered, “Here I am.” And he ran to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” But Eli said, “I did not call; go back and lie down.” So he went and lay down. Again the Lord called, “Samuel!” And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” “My son,” Eli said, “I did not call; go back and lie down.” Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord: The word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him. A third time the Lord called, “Samuel!” And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” Then Eli realized that the Lord was calling the boy. So Eli told Samuel, “Go and lie down, and if he calls you, say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.’” So Samuel went and lay down in his place. The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel! ” Then Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.” And the Lord said to Samuel: “See, I am about to do something in Israel that will make the ears of everyone who hears about it tingle.

*~*~*

My advice to you, my fellow worshipers, is to start fighting for those quiet moments. For a while silence your phone, turn off the T.V, sneak away from the hustle and bustle, and literally be still. Even when we express our worship to God through music make it personal time where you just stay quiet for a bit. Let your fingers rest. Gently set the mic down. Let God's presence take you away into that secret place where it's just you and Him. There, He will say the words that you've been waiting to hear: "Yes, it is me." In that stillness, in that silence we come to really know God.

No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say. Share your thoughts. You're so more than welcome to do so. God bless!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...