Friday, February 22, 2013

I Love It When The Holy Spirit Sets Me Up!



So I drove to a church I hadn't visited since I was 14 years old last, last, Tuesday. There was where my heart was captivated by how God could use music in such a powerful way. I explained this to a guy who I ran into outside in the parking lot. He told me that usually there were young adult Bible Studies but today they decided to do a Worship Night. My eyebrows were raised right there: Holy Spirit, what are you doing and why did you lead me here? My cousin and I met up right outside the church building and went on in around 8:00. Ushered in by the leader, we shyly stepped on up the large (big enough for me to sit Indian-style) carpet stairs and had a seat. The young guy speaking began to share how now that since they had been studying the Holy Spirit today was the day they were going to pray for baptisms. I felt overwhelmed and looked up at the sky. Oh the irony. I had been praying for a while and recently for the gift of speaking in tongues. It was burning in my heart and I just about wanted to cry from the words that were coming out of this guy's mouth. It was the Holy Spirit literally moving. He was so thick in that room that I could barely stand it. All I really remember from the beginning is that the guy said, "Whatever has been telling you that you can't receive this gift is a lie of the enemy because God wants to give it to you way more than you want it." Bang! Right there! The Holy Spirit took away all the doubts that I had. Overwhelmed is the word...speechless.  When the young adult Pastor (also a few years older than I) called out for anyone who wanted to receive the gift of tongues my legs seemed to have a mind of their own so I hurried down and was the first one on the floor near the musicians. The Pastor asked me for my name and I answered. Then she said these words that I still remember so clearly, "Deya, do you believe this gift is yours? Do you believe it?" After I said yes she started praying for me in tongues. I wasn't freaked out or anything because I'm no stranger to hearing people speak in the Spirit, especially because I'm always hearing my Momma. I was more than ready.Tears rolled down my eyes until I started balling out. I couldn't understand why. There was no reason for it other than feeling the Holy Spirit in my midst.  He was there and my flesh couldn't take what my Spirit was getting fed. I was being filled and my cup was running over. And after a while of the Pastor praying I suddenly started uttering the same unknown words that I muttered once when my Mom had prayed for me a year ago. Back then I shook myself thinking no this can't be it so I said nothing. The Pastor looked at me and said, "There it is! Keep going!" It felt like I was learning to walk again, to talk again. My tongue stumbled but then sudden bursts of joy came forth as the words grew stronger and stronger. I lifted up my hands and sang and worshipped my God for the gift that He had just given me. When I sing in the Spirit I'm a whole different person because my Spirit Man rises up and takes over. All I felt was wholeness, peace, and uncontrollable joy. 

(Acts 1:4-5) On one occasion, while he was eating with them, 
he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait 
for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak 
about. For John baptized with water, but in a few days you 
will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”

(Acts 2:1-4) When the day of Pentecost came, they were all 
together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a 
violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where 
they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire 
that separated and came to rest on each of them.  All of them 
were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in 
other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

Surprise, surprise! The Holy Spirit did it again. He's so good at setting me up. Tuesday was a life-changing experience. I went back again last Tuesday and it's amazing to see how the Holy Spirit is connecting this new rising generation in one Spirit. I'm so excited! 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear what you have to say. Share your thoughts. You're so more than welcome to do so. God bless!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...